D23 Expo 2017 happened just a couple weeks ago. With Disney owning so many new things (Star Wars, Marvel, etc.) there is a ton of news to catch up on beyond the classic Disney fare! The studio has their features mapped out through 2019 and revealed the impressive roster of films to come. Let’s dive into the announcements.
Classic Disney Fare
- The Incredibles is finally getting a sequel. The plot is said to begin almost immediately where the first movie ended, with the Incredibles about to face the Underminer. A clip featuring Jack-Jack using his superpowers was shown to the D23 attendees. Incredibles 2 hits theaters on June 15, 2018.
- Ralph is back for Wreck It Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet. Jumping from arcade games to the massive universe of the internet, Ralph and Vanellope reunite with fan favorites like Fix-It Felix and Sergeant Calhoun. A new character called Yesss is an algorithm who plays an important role in Ralph and Vanellope’s journey. The animated sequel will be out on November 21, 2018.
- While at the D23 Expo, Lasseter revealed that the Disney Princesses would make an appearance in Wreck it Ralph 2. Surprising all the fans at the expo, the original voice actresses of the Princesses took the stage, making it the largest gathering of Disney Princesses in history.
- Olaf’s Frozen Adventure. Disney is still working on the sequel to Frozen, but we’ll get an appetizer with this side adventure with Olaf, which will be shown with Pixar’s Coco. The Frozen 2 feature film will be out on November 27, 2019, 6 years after the original.
Pixar: A Continued Franchise and a New Adventure
- Continuing the popular franchise, Toy Story 4 is in the works. During the animation panel, John Lasseter revealed that Pixar’s Josh Cooley will be taking on full responsibilities as the director for the film. Toy Story 4 is scheduled to release on June 21, 2019.
- Though Disney and Pixar are clearly doing a lot of sequels, John Lasseter announced a new original Pixar film. Currently known as The Untitled Pixar Film That Takes You To A Suburban Fantasy World, it will be helmed by Monsters University director Dan Scanlon. Scanlon based the idea on his personal story where his father died at an early age.
Live-Action Films from Disney
- Adapted from the science fantasy novel written by American writer Madeleine L’Engle, Disney released the first trailer for A Wrinkle in Time. The film opens in theaters March 9, 2018.
- We are getting a live action Aladdin directed by Guy Ritchie. Casting was officially announced for the big three, Aladdin, Jasmine and Genie. Mena Massoud will be Aladdin, Naomi Scott will be Jasmine and Will Smith will be the Genie.
- A live-action Lion King is still in the works. John Favreau is spearheading that remake. Using the same CGI technology from his remake of The Jungle Book, a clip was presented at the expo. It showed a shot-by-shot recreation of the “Circle of Life” opening, and was met with a huge applause by the crowd. The Lion King remake will release on July 19, 2019.
- Dumbo is getting a live-action adaptation as well, with Tim Burton directing. Dumbo will fly into theaters March 29, 2019.
- Kingdom Hearts fans have been waiting with bated breath for a release date and info about new worlds in the game. At the Expo a new trailer for Kingdom Hearts 3 was released. It announced Toy Story as a new world and 2018 as the year the game will finally come out.
- Marvel and Disney are stepping into new technology with a virtual reality game. The new game, Powers United VR, works with the Oculus Rift and allows players to step into the shoes of many popular Marvel characters.
- Going another route with augmented reality gaming, a Star Wars game is coming out! You can play holochess and adventure around the galaxy.
Star Wars News
- Disney is getting a new section to the theme park! We’ve heard bits and pieces but at the D23 Expo 2017 they revealed that new section will be called Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
- Along with the entire themed area in the park, there will be an immersive Star Wars hotel. Concept art for the project shows the futuristic environment. The immersive hotel experience will include a 2-day story set in the Star Wars universe. Guests can wear costumes and experience a full story-driven entertainment experience.
- The D23 Expo 2017 also released a great behind the scenes video for Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi. The Last Jedi hits theaters December 15th!
You can find a roundup of the exciting Marvel news like Thor Ragnarok and Infinity War in our post about this year’s San Diego Comic Con news!